Monday, October 22, 2012

One of Those Runs

Have you ever had one of those runs...one where the minute you step onto the trail, you know you're going to have a great run?  A run where the climbs are effortless and one seems to have boundless energy.  A run where the descents are fluid, the foot placement is confident and solid and the quads absorb without complaint all the punishment one can dish out.  A run where you finish your run at top speed and do a subtle fist pump and think to yourself, "That was GREAT!"

I've had those kinds of runs before...but not yesterday.  My 9.5 mile ascent/descent of Bergen Peak in Elk Meadow Open Space was a slog.

Funny thing was that it started out good. It was a perfect fall day. I climbed well up the Bergen Peak Trail, but as soon as I hit the hidden little social trail that climbs the south side of the final stretch to the top, things got tougher.



Looking south(ish) from near the summit of Bergen Peak
By the time I got home, I was feeling like I ran 30 miles, rather than less than 10. Not sure what it was, but the last hour on the trail felt like three.  Still, on such a beautiful day, there's few other places I would have rather been.

All-in-all, though, a fine, fine weekend doing things that matter:

Hiking in the Bergen Peak State Wildlife Management Area with CP and dogs Maya and Cisco.

CP and Cisco with Mt. Evans in the distance.
Watching the amazing colors of a Saturday night sunset from the deck at the house.


Flying high with jP on Sunday afternoon.


Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Had many runs like that. Still end up going back for more. Hard to have a truly 'bad' day on the trails.

    Wow on the sunset. Saw the same one as we were westbound on I-70 in the middle of KS. Jaw dropping.

    ReplyDelete